Another heat stroke death after a morning walk
We say it all the time, it doesn't have to be 100 degrees for a dog to suffer from heat stroke or heat exhaustion.
In England last week, a five year old dog died of heat stroke after going out for his morning walk. His owners described him as "fit and healthy" and said he no pre-existing medical conditions. His walk was at 9 am and it was only 21 degrees C (70 degrees F)! Shortly after, the dog became unwell, was taken to the vet and was diagnosed with heat stroke but it was too late.
I think the most widely known story of heat stroke in moderate temps is about Ella, Chaz Dean's beautiful dog. Ella was healthy and well acclimated to the weather and she passed away from heat stroke after a hike in moderate weather.
It appears that both of these cases were following advice: exercise your dog in the morning, go out in moderate temps, match the activity to your dog's endurance level, take breaks. But it wasn't enough to protect these dogs from heat stroke.
Dogs just are not efficient at cooling their temperature. They have a few sweat glands on their feet, but their primary cooling method is panting, which is not enough to fight against heat.
Common sense should always come first and it is impossible to say what would have or not saved a life, but we can say that Kool Collar saves lives every single day. Kool Collar creates true evaporative cooling which makes a huge difference as to the amount of heat stress the animal can survive or just safely enjoy. The melting ice running down the front of your dog and evaporating from their skin lowers core body temperature, it doesn't just feel "cool" to the touch.
Please keep your dog safe from the heat!